Well, the season is over! The MUTS, I mean METS will now go down in history as the team with the largest blown lead in the history of baseball. They were up by 7 games with 17 to go and blew it all!
I give my valuable time, energy and passion – all for nothing! Several bums on this 2007 team!
My Grades and thoughts:
- GM – Omar Minaya: F, get a clue and get some pitching next year, don’t rely on a bunch of over the hill and inexperienced players. Can we PLEASE make a move instead of sitting on our hands in the offseason and at the trading deadline.
- Manager – Willie Randolph: C-, he can only play with the hand dealt by Omar so he gets a better grade than his GM. However, he needs to learn how to manage the pitching staff and bullpen a lot better. Looks like he really paid attention to Joe Torre when using the bullpen (Joe’s weakest trait as a manager). Willy’s job is safe; overall I like him as the manager of the Mets!
- C – Paul LoDuca: B-, He only gets a grade this high because he was one of the few to produce in September and has the heart of a champion. Too bad others in this club-house lack that heart. I would bring him back for 2008.
- 1B – Carlos Delgado: F, He’s shot, done! I could care less if he never put on this uniform again (get him out of town). I doubt he could hit a beach ball if thrown down the middle of the plate in 2007. I can’t remember watching a player that chocked so much in one season during so many big at-bats. I wish I could ship this guy and his contract elsewhere! It’s time for a career in beer-league softball (he might be able to catch up with those pitches).
- 2B – Luis Castillo: B+, I liked this trade and would enjoy watching him play a full season in a Mets uniform. He would score an A if he could hit a little better (rather than attempt so many failed bunt base hits).
- SS – Jose Ryes: C, Started with an excellent first half but was lost at the plate in the second half. I now know why his contract was only half of that of David Wright’s deal. Come-on Reyes, what happened to having a good time and some patience at the plate?
- 3B – David Wright: A, The only A on the team as he tore it up the second half of the season with a .366 batting average and became the fifth youngest player ever to join the 30 home run, 30 stolen base club.
- LF – Moises Alou: B+, He would join Wright with an A if he could only stay healthy for a full season. Alou is an excellent hitter that I look forward to watching in clutch situations and would like back in 2008 (even at 42 years of age).
- CF – Carlos Beltran: B, He’s soft! He stubs a toe nail and is out for 3 weeks. Other than that, he can continue to play on this team. He’s a 50/50 shot in clutch situations. Good player but not a leader!
- Shawn Green: B-, He has some good streaks and some bad streaks but I rather see Lastings Milledge full time next year. Greene is too old for this team; we need youth as we look towards Citi Field in 2009.
- P – Tom Glavine: C-, Get him the hell out of here. He was never a “true” Met to begin with! Over-the-hill with not much left in the tank! Sorry Tom, great career but you are still a Brave in my mind.
- P – Pedro Martinez: I, Incomplete as he was on the disabled list for the majority of the season.
- P – John Maine: B-, Capable of a big game but too inconsistent with too many blow ups in the 4th or 5th inning.
- P – Oliver Perez: B-, Has great stuff in the arm but it’s the mental aspect that keeps him from being special. Even more so than Maine, Perez has electric stuff that allows him to pitch a big game every time out but this rarely happens on a consistent basis.
- RP – Billy Wagner: C-, Has he ever showed up for a big spot? He shows up in May and June but disappears in September and October! He’s not much better than Benitez in a big game (in my book). Not the guy I want on the mound in game 7 of the World Series with his team leading by one run.
There you have it. The 2007 New York MUTS!
Offseason Goal: PITCHING, PITCHING, PITCHING! Hey Omar, learn from your mistakes and starting building a new bullpen (your strength in 2006). Then grab another quality starter or two: JOHAN SANTANA – trade a few of these young guys that may or may not pan out.
Start by doing whatever you can by dumping Mota off this team! He gets a double F for cheating and having no skills in 2007